Sunday 30 September 2012

Almost healthy Blackberry Muffins

Thanks to the lovely Clairejustines for the Creative Monday prompt, kicking me into action with this great Autumn recipe. It is adapted from a version dreamt up by Saint Dan (unsurprisingly as he is my baking guru). My children love blackberries, DB won't allow me to pass a patch without scoffing a handful and Pickle is more interested in the harvest. We harvest them little by little as we go on walks, popping the in uneaten ones straight into the deep freeze until we have a batch to cook with. This way it stays fun. This recipe is a worthy treat with iron and minerals to give you a feel good glow.




200ml milk - I used soya but cows milk is fine
75g wheat germ
100g dark muscavado sugar
3/4 table spoon of black treacle
1 teaspoon of dark agave syrup (I prefer this combination rather all black treacle as it make it a little less overwhelming).
150ml sunflower oil
2 large eggs
200g plain flower
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
75g golden caster sugar
A couple of handfuls of washed blackberries (around 250g)

A finished them with some toasted hemp seeds, my friend loved it but I am not so sure.

Makes about 16 muffins in the large cupcake cases
Heat your oven to 200'c and pop the paper cases in the baking tray.

Heat the milk until it almost boils then pour over the wheatgerm and muscovado sugar, whisk until smooth then leave while you get on with the rest of the cooking. Beat together the oil, eggs, treacle and syrup. Sift together the rest of the dry ingredients (except the berries) and lightly fold into the mix. Finally carefully stir in the blackberries and spoon into the baking cases.

cook for bat half an hour until the kitchen smells delicious, they look a lovely nutty brown colour and the are firm to touch.

I made these for a Macmillan coffee morning and the went down really well. It was a lovely way to use some of our hedgerow harvest.

I used to always go for blackberry and apple crumble which I love, but I think this is a worthy recipe too. I hope you like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what think, so leave me a comment. Thanks!