Monday 24 September 2012

Moroccan-ish casserole


This is inspired by Clairejustineoxox's creative Monday blog hop. If you are coming from their apologies for the title typo - doing too many things at once ;)



Enough for 2 children, 2 adults and extra for lunch

2 lamb steaks or equivalent in diced neck (optional - it is lovely without)
1 onion chopped
1 courgette diced
1 large carrot diced
1 large handful of dried apricots, chopped
About 8 chopped dates
1 cup washed red lentils
1 tin chopped tomatoes
About 2 cups stock, I use Swiss brouillon
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp each ground ginger, cumin, coriander
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp of Ras-el Hanout* if available to spice it up, I'd not just add an extra few pinches of any of the ingredients
Cook the onions slowly over a low heat until the kitchen smells divine and the onions are translucent. Add the rest of the vegetables and continue to cook for a few mins. Next add the dry spices, lamb (if using) and fruit and cook until the lamb has coloured.
Add in the stock, tamarind and lentils and still all together. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Finally add the tomatoes. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.

If you have the time pop it in the the oven with a lid and leave it forum to around an hour. If you don't have the time just simmer on the hon for about 20 mins until the lentils are cooked. Serve with cous cous. I always use a bowl to make little mounds of cous cous then I can top with chopped pistachios, pumpkin seeds or even pomegranate if I have any around.

I thought that I had served DB far too much but he managed to demolish. success! A happy full tummy bodes well for a good night's sleep. :)
ras-el Hanout: galangal, rosebuds, black pepper, ginger, cardamom, nigella, cayenne, allspice, lavender, cinnamon, cassia, coriander, mace, nutmeg, cloves. I was given a little pouch in my stocking last year so have been using it sparingly ever since :)

1 comment:

  1. Ohh sounds so tasty :) thanks so much for the lovely comment on my blog,thanks for linking up with us at Creative Mondays new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what think, so leave me a comment. Thanks!