Monday 11 February 2013

My Food Week 4th February





I visited the farm shop so last week was a little more meaty. It was also a week pretty devoid of major culinary flair. I can't give my recipe for a laksa as I am still tying to perfect my cottage version of it - albeit one that may not be recognised in Vietnam. As well as suppers I have been doing a great line in celeriac salad (or remoulade to give its proper title) for lunch and endless Scotch pancakes for breakfast and snacks. as it is a few hours off Shrove Tuesday I will share my recipe for that, but first here is my food week.

Monday - Tofu laksa
Tuesday - Tractor wheels (whirls of puff pastry and beef sausage made at our local farm shop)
Wednesday - Marinated salmon with mild spiced noodles.
Thursday - Fish fingers and beans.
Friday - Mac and cheese with red peppers and tomatoes (I was out and so the Hubster can have his fave without me)
Saturday - After our excellent Chinese lunch we just had jacket potatoes for supper.
Sunday - an indoor picnic for lunch and Toad in the Hole for Supper.

I am a little bit addicted to Felicity Cloake column in the Guardian goading us to cook the perfect....well this week it was Perfect Toad in the Hole! so I had to try it out.

Scotch Pancakes

225g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
2 medium eggs, beaten
150ml cold milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup

Sift the dry ingredients together then add the wet ingredients a little at a time, whisking it all up to a thick batter. In a hot pan with a little butter start making the pancakes, a tablespoon per pancake. Watch carefully, you want to see the bubbles on top and flip them before they get to look charred - it is not to delicate a process unless the children a fractious from hunger....then cook on other side.
Enjoy warm, but I pop them into a airtight container and toast at a later point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what think, so leave me a comment. Thanks!